The Lauwersmeer-area exist for a large part of the former Lauwerssea and is since 1969 separated from the Waddensea after the realisation of the last part of the Deltaworks, the dyke at Lauwersoog. In combination with the reclamation of land and the application of sand, a vast natural and recreational parc arose. The former Lauwerssea that continues as the Reitdiep and streams from Lauwersoog to Groningen, is now mainly a watersports area. Here you find all the space for swimming, fishing, sailing and canoeing.
In the area there is a intricate network of walking- and cycling paths so you can go for endless hikes and rides. Chances are that you encounter a Scottish highlander, a Koniks-horse, a deer of a fox sooner than a inhabitant of the province Groningen on foot or bike. In the forests of the Lauwersmeer-area you can, under supervision of a forester, go on a walk or explore the surroundings on your own.
There are bike- and walking tours, such as:
- Art at home-tour (kunst aan huisroute) Lauwersland
- Atelier tour 99
- Klavertje 4 tour through the Marne-area on bike
- Lauwersmeer-tour along characteristic villages of Groningen (by the ANWB)
- Bike tour “Tour of Lauwersmeer”
- Goosepath (Ganzepad), walking tour in the Lauwersmeer-area
- Several walks in the small villages in Groningen
But there are also several other activities:
- Trips on canoe
- Visiting the seal hospital at Pieterburen
- Visiting the isles Schiermonnikoog or Ameland
- Dinghy sailing
- Several museums
- Visiting the eel smokehouse at Zoutkamp
See for more and extended information about Zoutkamp and the Lauwersmeer-area the (Dutch) website below
Or bring a visit at the tourist information situated at the Reitdiepskade in Zoutkamp.